Sunday, September 25, 2011

And now the fun really starts!!

So this week I had:

-2 tests 1 day after the other

-Club events

-2 group projects

-“Normal” rotman social events

-Class

It was NUTS. Basically no time idle whatsoever!! The crazy workload is balanced out with super fun social events. You might think “Mike, why are you socializing if you have so much work to do?” Well socializing is part of the job too. Based on everything I have heard, it is really important to get involved at school, and make sure you are out there. For marketing jobs in particular (my career of choice), this is key.

I was always used to striving for A+ in all of my classes, meaning foregoing extra-curriculars here and there if it would help me maximize my grade. So it has been a bit of an adjustment learning how to go out with classmates and just be comfortable with B’s and B+’s. Hopefully it will be worth it!

One super annoying thing I learned though is that the people who want to work in finance or consulting get to do their recruiting in the early part of 2012 whereas marketing recruitment tends to be much later, like March or April. But my internship would start in May!! I’ve been given a lot of pep talks about how I should not freak out if I don’t have a job by April given the nature of marketing recruiting but still, I am 100% sure freaking out will ensue if I am still jobless come April. I am definitely going to try to get a job set up as early as possible so I can worry about other things for the rest of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment