Sunday, March 18, 2012

A happy end to recruiting season

One of the big things I wanted out of my MBA was to get a job where I can get much more strategic marketing experience, working on major global brands (ideally not in Canada). I was determined to make this happen. So I:
-Met with countless people- Corporate Connections Centre, 2nd yr students, people in the jobs I want to do- to build strong relationships and to do resume reviews to ensure people knew me and I could give them exactly what they want
-Researched the crap out of the companies and industry I was interested in…So much so that when companies I was interested in came to campus, I won prizes for my knowledge of those companies and industry
-Learned from those who got the jobs in the areas I was interested in and those who didn’t get the jobs in the areas I was interested to get a sense of best practices (and not so great practices) and ensure I would nail my interviews
-Did countless mock interviews with the people who have or had the jobs I wanted
-Ensured that in an interview situation I would be prepared, polished and perfect
And I am a super personable guy on top of that (important for marketing jobs). You’d think this would be enough to nail the job I want, right? WRONG. I got shot down from some of the organizations I was most interested in. Knowing that even when I do everything right (according to my interview feedback), it is still not enough, I got super depressed. Like, really, really depressed. And angry at pretty much every administrator at Rotman. How could this happen??
Every now and then Rotman posts jobs in other countries. I was always reluctant to apply to them because usually those jobs go to the “rockstars” of class (you know, the people that go to school, get straight A’s, are the captain of 8 sports teams and save puppies with their free time). I am a pretty smart guy but I am by no means someone like the above. So when a marketing strategy and business development job in London (England) came up, I thought nothing of it.
The CCC emailed me though and asked me to consider applying. It turned out the job was only open to Rotman students, not the population at large, which would improve my odds considerably. So I figured I’d apply. Two interviews later and I got the job.
So this summer I will be moving to London, England to work at Rainmaker Global Business Development (http://rainmaker-gbd.com/) as the Business Development/Commercial Partnership Intern.
I can’t begin to express how excited I am!! I am pretty sure I will have zero free time but the job should be absolutely amazing. So excited for it.
So after all of the stress and frustration of the last few months, I can safely say that if I can be successful in my job search, you can! Work hard, stay focused and you will be rewarded. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment