Saturday, March 3, 2012

End of the 3rd quarter of school!

On Thursday was our last exam for the 3rd qtr (Q3) which meant my 1st year of MBA school is officially 75% finished! Some reflections on the quarter:

This is BY FAR the easiest quarter of the 3 we’ve had so far. Not many assignments and a huge % of our grade was based on just getting involved in class. Two classes didn’t even have final exams. We just had to write enormous essays for the end of the qtr. Although it’s not like the essays were that easy; they were very time consuming in their own right.

The exams we did have were another story. Because I am not a finance guy, things that might be common knowledge for our soon-to-be investment bankers and such are completely unknown to me. I feel like 2 of our 3 exams for this quarter (finance II and macroeconomics) gave a distinct edge to anyone with a finance background. Finance for obvious reasons and macro because a lot of the material we learned related to movements in the financial market, which finance guys would have already known and understood. We also had an exam for Strategy II (the ones we had no exams for were marketing and leadership). Strategy was challenging but mostly because it is a class at Rotman and everything in this school is challenging. But whatever, the exams are done and behind me now.

Another challenging aspect of the quarter was the fact that it is recruiting season. As I alluded to in a very early post, consulting and banking jobs get 99% sorted in January. Marketing drags on for 4 months. So besides dealing with school I’ve had to do cover letters, interviews, etc again and again... Very very time consuming. I am looking forward to getting an internship so I can move on with my life.

With Q3 over, we get a week off. I am spending half the week on my job search and doing networking. The other half, I am going home to Ottawa. I am looking forward to seeing my Ottawa friends (and family, of course) again. It was been a while!

No comments:

Post a Comment