Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Mike gets the Andalucian Experience in Granada and Malaga


I had another long weekend here in Madrid so I wanted to use it as another tourism opportunity. Flying somewhere was out of the question and I had yet to see the Alhambra (in Granada) and my cousin had told me very good things about Granada as a city so I figured that would be a good option, especially because a bus there was only $50 return. Even better was the fact that an hour from Granada is Malaga where several of my friends live from when I went on exchange in Amsterdam as an undergrad. So we could have a mini reunion there! So off to the south of Spain I went.

Granada is famous for the Alhambra but there are some pretty cool other other things there as well:
--Student town--
Granada’s medical and dental schools are apparently very prestigious and big meaning Granada is a student town. Meaning cheap food! Fun parties! Huray!

--Los Reyes Catolicos--
The king and queen of Spain from the late 1400’s to early 1500’s, Fernando and Isabella, (known as “los reyes catolicos” or “the catholic king and queen”) are buried here. Why is this noteworthy? Well they united the various regions of spain under a common flag, began the spanish inquisition and sponsored columbus’ voyage to the new world. Pretty influential monarchs! In the church they are buried, you can see their actual tombs!! It was pretty cool to see these actual monarchs who were so influential in world history. 

--Tapas- -
When I read in my Lonely Planet guide that Granada was notable for its sizable tapas, I knew I had to see this for myself. And boy was Lonely Planet right! In very commercial establishments in Spain and elsewhere, you have to buy tapas separately and they are small plates of things like olives or tortilla española or whatever. In traditional Spanish restaurants the tapas come free with your drink, mimicking the traditional manner of serving them (which you can learn more about here
For some reason in Granada tapas are almost like small meals and the more beer/wine you order, the bigger the tapas.
Example 1:  I bought a small glass of beer for 2EUR and got a ham sandwich and fries for free!
Example 2: I was with a group of 5 people and we each got a beer for 1.80EUR. With it we got a PLATTER of burritos!! WHAT!!??? Awesome!! (and they weren't gross burritos either!)
As an MBA student I was curious to know how this could possibly be a sustainable business practice. My friend Jose from Malaga (who is a recent MBA grad) informed me it is funded through people buying lots and lots of alcohol at a time at the bars. Oh Spain…how I love it. Haha

--Moorish-themed stuff—
Because Granada was such an important part of Moorish Spain, there are muslim-themed things everywhere. The Albayzin (old Moorish quarter) feels like you are in Aladdin  or that part of Raiders of the Lost Ark when Marion is hiding in a basket while Indy is getting chased by bad guys.  It is very crowded and everyone is trying to sell you tacky carpets, Moorish tiles, hookah pipes, etc.

The Moorish influence combined with Granada being a student town means there are maybe more shawarma places per capita than in Ottawa (my hometown). So much shawarma! And so cheap and delicious!! I loved it.

--The Alhambra--
This was a fortress that began in the 900’s by the Moorish rulers of Al-Andalus (the Moorish name of Andalucia) and grew over time to become the giant fortress it ended up as. The architecture, design, etc. is awesome and is a MUST see if you visit Spain but rather than talk about stuff you can see for yourself in person or Wikipedia, I wanted to touch on a few different things I found notable:
-For a few hundred years, the Alhambra was a dump, used as barracks, a place for bums to hang out, etc. It may sound hard to believe but what helped me envision what this place looked like in the past was Assassin’s Creed II (the videogame). This may sound silly but that game takes place in early renaissance Italy where you get to see, for example, the Roman Forum being used for the same dumphole purposes. People just didn’t really care about managing and preserving classical architecture at very points in history. I guess they had bigger problems on their hands...The Alhambra was "rediscovered" in the late 1800's by American writer Washington Irving. He stayed in the Alhambra for some time and was inspired to write about it (The Tales of the Alhambra). This led to renewed interest in the fortress and it becoming the tourist destination it is today. 
-The only thing I never liked about Lonely Planet guides was that there are few pictures for each tourist attraction. So it was sometimes tricky to follow what Lonely Planet was describing because you had to rely on the book’s description and assume you were indeed looking at the correct thing the book was describing. To tour the Alhambra, you have to follow a fixed pathway through the various parts of the fortress. Lonely Planet’s descriptions of the Alhambra follow this route EXACTLY!! I was very pleasantly surprised about this and it made it a lot easier to understand what I was looking at when, in each part of the Alhambra.
-Entering the Alhambra is a big chore. You MUST buy a ticket in advance online and your ticket is only valid for a set period of time of the day. And because the Alhambra is on the top of a hill, you need to walk for a while or take a bus up there. Worth it, but different from what I am used to where you can just go and walk into whatever tourist destination you want, whenever.

So that’s the gist of Granada. Now for Malaga.

I should note a few things first: I had been to Malaga before as a tourist so didn’t need to do much touristy stuff this time and I went to Malaga this time around to visit friends, not do touristy stuff. That being said, there are some worthwhile things to note about my visit:
-If you really want to go to Malaga as a tourist and have never been, I strongly recommend going in the summer. Outside of the summer, the city is chilly and/or rainy and all of the tourist stuff there is pretty similar to Granada but better in Granada (i.e. muslim architecture, churches, etc). In the summer in Malaga you can go to the city’s beach (called Malagueta) and eat/drink on outside terraces all day and night which is super fun and fantastic and worth it, time permitting. (which you cannot do in landlocked Granada)
-Malaga has completely redone its waterfront. The redo was completed like a few months ago according to my friends. Now on the port is a long promenade of nice restaurants and stores.
-You might have read in your tourism book about “teterias” which are basically restaurants that specialize in serving tea. Because I am not really a tea guy, I never would have gone to one on my own initiative. But because I was with my Malageño amigos (that is, friends from Malaga) I followed their afternoon routine. So after a big lunch at one of the most famous restaurants in the city, “El Pimpi,” they took me to El Haren, one of the most noteable Teterias in Malaga for some post-lunch chill time. It was SO cool!! The place is a converted very, very old house. Inside it felt very bohemian. Cool scene to chill out on a rainy Sunday afternoon. The place had tons of varieties of tea, none of which taste like the “typical” stuff we are used to in North America. My friend recommended “la jamiacana” (the Jamaican) which tasted sort of like tea mixed with a warm pina colada. The perfect way to organize my stomach after our giant Spanish lunch.
While I didn’t do any “typical” touristy stuff, catching up with my friends I hadn´t seen in 6 years and spending an day like a typical Malageño was a pretty fun experience.

Good times in Andalucia!! I am pretty sad I have to go back to Canada in a month and a bit; I could really have spent more time in the south for sure. Such a cool place.

No comments:

Post a Comment