Saturday, September 1, 2012

Mike’s Euro Adventure Part II: Madrid


Hello Guys!

After a short visit back to Canada, I am back in Europe, this time, Madrid for a semester on exchange at the Instituto de Empresa (http://www.ie.edu/business-school/degrees/international-mba). Everything so far has been totally amazing. Some observations since I arrived:
·         IE and my flat are located in the wealthiest part of Madrid. It is the Madrid equivalent of 5th Avenue in NYC or Yorkville in Toronto. The neighbourhood looks pretty much the same as Yorkville except in Spanish instead of english.
·         When I arrived, I needed to buy various things for my flat and school supplies, etc. Spain has a store called El Corte Ingles which is the exact same as the Bay in Canada so you can get pretty much whatever you need. But for cheap stuff, I was curious to know if something like our Dollar Stores exist here. Instead of dollar stores, Madrileños call them Chinese Stores because it is always chinese people that run them. I thought that was hilarious.
·         After getting killed on cost of living challenges in London, it is so refreshing to be in Madrid where:
o   I am on the Euro, not the Pound and therefore have a much better exchange rate
o   Things are priced pretty much the exact same as what they would be in Canada, or cost even less. Huray!
·         The weather is unbelievable. Hot and sunny every single day! I am totally loving it.
·         Because I learned spanish from those who speak castellano (that is spain spanish-speakers), I can actually understand the spanish people are talking here, which is pretty great.
·         The food here is also fantastic.

The last 2 days we had our exchange student orientation, so I got to meet my exchange peers. Because we are all focusing in different specializations, it is unlikely many of us will be in the same classes but it was cool to meet everyone. What was especially nice was to see ACTUAL diversity in the exchange student class. Like, no one country or region dominates the exchange student body.

That's about it for now, I think. More to come! 

1 comment:

  1. NICE BLOG!!! Investment in a Business Management program is much more beneficial compared to investment in other academic programs. Perhaps, more so in the current situation of recession. Thanks for sharing...
    Top MBA Colleges in Ahmedabad
    MBA colleges in Ahmedabad

    ReplyDelete