Sunday, May 20, 2012

Cool things in London as of late


Last weekend I got a chance to do some more exploring. The sun finally decided to come out so I checked out some of the parks in town. I visited Regents Park and Hyde Park. I’d say Regents Park reminds me of Retiro in Madrid and Hyde, of Central Park in NYC.

I say this because in Regent’s Park, it really feels like an escape into a chilled out park with cool gardens, fountains, etc. to relax and get away. Whenever it gets warmer here (the thermometer has yet to rise above 17 degrees) I will definitely be reading and taking naps under the sun there!

Hyde Park is a ginormous park with ponds, soccer fields, gardens, etc however despite being in a park, I was very much aware I was still in the middle of the city. Not a bad place but different- and not as close to my flat- so I’ll be sticking to Regent’s Park most likely.

One of my friends is staying in this neighbourhood called Shoreditch. It used to be housing projects but it has gentrified and now it’s basically where the creative community is. As such, the neighbourhood is really funky and relaxed. My kind of scene!

In an effort to minimize expenditures, I’ve been eating at home as much as possible. However, I have found some pretty cheap and good eats around. One thing that really surprised me is English chain cafes, i.e. this chain called “Pret a Manger”. They have ready-made sandwiches and wraps that you can buy (much like what you see at convenience stores and such in North America) for about $5 CAD (cheap by London standards). Given the sandwiches were ready-made I was reluctant to buy one, thinking they had been on the shelf for 8 years or whatever, prior to me purchasing. Turns out, the sandwiches and wraps that are ready-made, were only made a few minutes prior…and are very good!! So don’t let the disgustingness of such sandwiches in North America skew your judgement. The stuff here is great.

I was also introduced to this bagel place called “Beigel Bake” in shoreditch (not sure why they spell “bagel” differently on this side of the Atlantic). There is a pretty big Jewish community here in London and a family opened up this bagel store using the same recipe for bagels you’d see in Montreal or NYC!! The bagels are AMAZING!! And CHEAP!! 50 cents CAD for a bagel…YES! And there is a person carving smoked meat in a window next to the front door of the place. So awesome. I will definitely be going there often.

Finally, after about 12am, the tube stops and is replaced by a night bus network, similar to what exists in Toronto or Vancouver. I always hated night buses in Toronto because they rarely show up and stop every 4 seconds. A trip involving 1 night bus was bad. But if you were so far away from where you needed to go that you needed to take 2 night buses, forget it. You’ll be in transit forever. So I was at first a bit reluctant to use the night bus system here the few times I have been out past 12am. However with taxis being so expensive, I figured “whatever, I’ll give night buses a shot.” There are a ton of night bus routes though and they are all numbered very confusingly. My roommate who has lived in London for 7 years, gave me this recommendation “Instead of trying to figure out the number system, just look for a bus going somewhere that sounds familiar and go there”. Surprisingly that is a VERY good system! Night buses in London come extremely frequently and only stop where the tube-equivalent stations are (instead of at every 2nd intersection like what the TTC does). So you can actually get home pretty fast as long as you know approximately how to get home. Sweet! 

No comments:

Post a Comment